Thursday, October 2, 2008




A friend of mine, who I have known since 1981, on her Facebook page, wrote the following comments:

Suzy Doe is stressed about the economy. (Name has been changed to protect the author)

Adding to my stress about the economy. . .
Last week I had Chinese food for dinner one evening and the fortune I pulled out of my fortune cookie said, "You shouldn't overspend at the moment. Frugality is important.". What the hell? Way to spoil my dinner out! Does this damn cookie know something I don't?

Here are our exchanges:

Remember that slogan from Dean Lee Honda back in '87? It's my new slogan:
Everything's Gonna Be OK!
Roger

No, I don't remember the slogan. I'm not sure I can believe it. I had to turn off talk radio today because it was stressing me out.

Suzy Doe and Everyone Else…

PLEASE, turn the talk radio off! How do you think those people make their money? It's all about scare tactics and fear. For some reason, we humans are attracted like moths to light regarding bad news. In the good old days we only had the 3 major networks. Now we have cable, a bazillion radio stations, satellite radio, and the omnipresent Internet.

Talk radio in general is a downer. I have listened to both left and right. The anger those people express is scary. If I listen to too much, there ain't no anti-depressant that will offset that venom. Even one of our local talk radio hosts who used to be entertaining has gone down the anti-this and anti-that road. He seems pissed off at everything. I can only take 5-10 minutes at a time!

If you are going to listen to talk radio, then try something a little more positive. Get Satellite and listen to Oprah and Friends (Oprah only on for 1 hour of shows per week). One of the best talk stations I have ever heard. There are also other alternative talk stations.

Get books on tape. Go to http://www.nightingale.com and buy an audio program. I love their stuff. I'm finding Gregg Braden very interesting right now. Love Marianne Williamson. Need skills, buy Brian Tracy. Want a better outlook? Jim Rohn is the man. (He is the one who introduced me to the idea that politicians really are irrelevant to our day to day lives. Amen.)

Do something good with your time on the road.

Bail-out, schmail-out! I really don't believe that "trickle down" idea will "trickle down" for those of us out on the front lines. No one is talking about how that really will do anything for anyone other than the fat cats on Wall Street.

Is your Chinese food restaurant giving you bad messages in the fortune cookies? Go to a different place! It's Chinese for heaven's sake. Go with the conspirists and believe it's a way for them to buy out the US and we fall to their rule.

You are a poster child for getting one's life in order. You say you are financially conservative. You moved from an insanely high cost area. You're smart. You've proven value to your company.

Don't like any of that? Then go to iTunes and buy REM's "It's The End of the World As We Know It (and I Feel Fine)". Listen to that then drive off the road. Buy stock in the company that owns Kleenex - you may need to use lots of their product.

Best we can do is do our best and focus on what matters to us. Take time for yourself, your friends, and family. Smile. Do something nice for someone. Now more than ever, we need to put some bumper sticker psychology to work: Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty.

Roger A. Berger
Associate Broker: Keller Williams Realty - Southeast Sound (Renton, WA) Senior Mortgage Consultant: Matison Mortgage Professionals LLC
206-650-7647
http://www.RogerBerger.com


Roger Berger is a veteran real estate professional in both Sales and Lending. He specializes in the following cities: Federal Way, Kent, Auburn, Renton, Des Moines, Burien, West Seattle, Seattle, Tacoma, Browns Point, Puyallup, Sumner, and Lake Tapps. He provides services through Keller Williams Realty in Renton, WA and Matison Mortgage Professionals in Puyallup, WA.

No comments: